DELHI AND POWAI CENTERS

Shastriji Maharaj and Yogi Bapa wished for satsanga to spread to the north, where Lord Swaminarayan had taken birth. (Lord Swaminarayan was born in Chhapaiya near Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh, which is 340 miles or 547 kilometers from India's capital, New Delhi.) Just as Shastriji Maharaj had given an image of Akshar-Purushottam to Kakaji in 1949, he had also given one to Nandaji with the blessings, "Enshrine this image in Delhi and spread the message of Lord Swaminarayan in northern India." Yogi Bapa first visited Delhi in July 1950 per Shastriji Maharaj's command. In 1953, Yogi Bapa, Pramukh Swamiji, saints and devotees visited Delhi on route to Chhapaiya by special train. Kakaji and Nandaji had gone earlier to help with arrangements, meeting Yogi Bapa (and young Tejendraprasadji Maharaj) in Chhapaiya. Again in 1956, Yogi Bapa graced Delhi on route to Chhapaiya along with saints and devotees. Per Yogi Bapa's instructions, Kakaji visited Delhi several times starting 1952 to support the satsanga there. From 1967, in letters to devotees, Yogi Bapa revealed a desire to see a temple in Delhi. Since that time, Kakaji continued to grace devotees in Delhi, while asking Mukundjivan Swamiji (Guruji) to lead the Delhi satsanga.

Shastriji Maharaj had asked Kakaji to live as brothers with Nandaji. Thus throughout his life, Kakaji supported Nandaji in all of his endeavors. For the Bharat Sadhu Samaj, Nandaji and Anand Swami (secretary and leading saint of the Bharat Sadhu Samaj, who helped obtain a place for Guruji and saints in Delhi to stay), asked Kakaji to help with the 1973 celebrations of Swami Ramatirth's Centennial.[52] From this, many leaders such as Shri V.S. Page (Chairman of Maharashtra State Legislative Council) and Shri G.S. Pohekar (Indo-Japanese Association President) came in touch with the Swaminarayan satsanga.

After his government roles in the late 1970s, Nandaji also formed the Manav Dharma Mission Trust.[53] Part of the trust was an ayurvedic pharmacy in Kurukshetra. When it did not run well, Nandaji's friends, Chandrabhan Sharma and Kalyandevji Maharaj (an eminent saint of Northern India), called upon Kakaji, who along with devotees spent three years (1980-1982) bringing it up and then handed it over to the Trust. (Kakaji asked Mahendra Bapu, Rajubhai Bhatt, and Mahendrabhai Patel to help with the operations of the pharmacy. Mahendrabhai Patel, a devotee, is a doctor in ayurvedic practice and today he heads the ayurvedic pharmacy in Haridham.)

By Kakaji's inspiration, Lord Swaminarayan's bicentennial was celebrated in Delhi in 1981 on a large scale, attended by over five thousand devotees. In 1983, Kakaji acquired land from the Delhi Development Authority with the help of Minister HKL Bhagat, who witnessed Kakaji's divinity. This would be the future home of a grand Akshar-Purushottam temple. Around 1983, Kakaji and Guruji once traveled to Haridwar. During the spiritual visit, they bathed in the Ganges River and visited many temples including a beautiful 7-story construction dedicated to Mother India. Guruji openly asked Kakaji, "This temple is not even dedicated to the manifestation of supreme God and yet they get an abundance of donations." The temple had a statue of the donor along with a plaque, indicating he had donated 1,111,111 rupees. Guruji remarked, "On the other hand, we can hardly collect 11 rupees in aarti!" At that time, Kakaji blessed, "Here, we will get a donor who gives even more - and not to inflate his ego or not to record his task, but to purely please God!" True to Kakaji's words, in 1994, with the support of Malkani Saheb (who met Kakaji only once) and devotees, a large temple was established with the moortis (divine images) of Akshar-Purushottam Maharaj, Shastriji Maharaj, Yogi Bapa, Kakaji, and gunaateeta saints. Akshar Jyot is the Delhi women's wing, headed by Anandididi. Under Guruji's guidance, the Delhi center today continues to flourish and help many to devote to Lord Swaminarayan.

Kakaji knew Chandrabhan Sharma since working with Nandaji for the ministry elections. Experiencing divinity in the presence of Kakaji and Yogi Bapa, he donated a large property in Powai to the Akshar-Purushottam cause. Yogi Bapa conducted a yagna (ceremony signifying the lands inauguration) on the land, and prophesized that, "There will be a grand temple here and the price of the land will increase like gold!" In 1978, Sharmaji donated the sanctified part of the land to Kakaji. Kakaji held many functions at the area, and from a jungle, the area soon became a magnificent part of Hiranandani Gardens where today stands the International Spiritual Research Center. Guided by the dedicated brothers of Tardev, the ISRC was inaugurated on February 3, 2003.

In 1980, an apartment (Prashant Apartments) in Powai, in which Yogi Bapa conducted a scriptural reading in 1962, was purchased as the residence for a dedicated women branch titled Gunatit Mahilaa Kendra. Today, Yoginiben, Madhuriben, Shardaben, Jayuben, Niluben, Meeraben, Siddhiben, Minaben, and Artiben serve a devoted life while residing there.

Previous Back to Contents Next
   



Please click HERE if you are having problems viewing the site.